Visitors are very welcome in our hospitals. If you come to visit a friend or relative there are a few things to be aware of:
- Visiting times on wards can vary. Please check in advance by visiting our ward directory or by calling 020 8296 2000 for St Helier or 01372 735735 for Epsom and asking for the relevant ward
- The medical care of patients comes first so please be aware that some restrictions apply to visiting hours
- We ask that no more than two visitors sit with patients at a time. This is to keep noise and disturbance on the ward to a minimum
- We are happy for children to visit the hospital, but in some areas this may not be possible, please check in advance by calling the ward
- Please do not sit on the beds; sometimes it seems a natural thing to do, especially if the patient is sitting, but it can be an infection risk in a hospital.
Here is some useful information to prepare your visit:
Getting to the hospital
Smoking is not permitted in any hospital building or on hospital grounds. We ask all patients and visitors to go off site to smoke.
Please switch off your mobile phone in the hospital. Mobile phones can interfere with equipment. We therefore appreciate your co-operation in going outside the building to make any calls on mobile phones.
If you would like to bring flowers for a relative or friend in hospital, please check with staff on the ward first - flowers are not allowed in some areas of the hospital as the water in vases can be an infection risk. Please check our ward directory for further infomation.
Out of courtesy to other patients and visitors, photography is not allowed in any part of the hospital without permission. Please ask the ward sister or matron if you wish to take any photographs. Mobile phones should not be used to take photographs where the use of mobile phones is forbidden.
Infection control and prevention
Infection control is one of our top priorities; we have made impressive progress in cutting infection rates. We can only continue to do this with your help.
When visiting, please remember to:
- Wash your hands or use alcohol rub when entering the ward and again before you leave
- Sit on a chair, not the bed, otherwise you may transfer bacteria.
Please do not visit if you have any signs of infection such as diarrhoea, vomiting, fever, a cold, rash or skin infection.
If the person you are visiting is being nursed in isolation in a single room or bay, please contact the nurse in charge to find out if there are any precautions you need to take. In general visitors do not need to wear protective clothing such as gloves or aprons, but please do wash your hands when leaving the room or bay.
Read more about infection control
Check ward visiting times in advance by checking our online ward directory or by calling 020 8296 2000 for St Helier or 01372 735735 for Epsom and ask for relevant ward.